Lets Dive into The Benefits of Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements
Few dietary supplements have undergone the amount of study and research as fish oil, dating back to the original Greenland Eskimos and their exceptional heart health and absence of arthritis that started the fish oil craze. There are many benefits of supplementing your diet with fish oil including:
- Lower Triglycerides – A high level of triglycerides, essentially a type of fat in your blood, can greatly increase your risk of heart disease. Fish oil reduces your triglycerides and your risk for heart attack, congestive heart failure, stroke, and peripheral vascular disease.. Fish oils also maintain the elasticity of your artery walls, prevent dangerous blood clotting, lowers blood pressure and stabilizes heart rhythm.
- Increased Serotonin Levels – Daily fish oil supplementation decreases your risk for Alzheimer’s and associated memory loss. Additional research is being conducted at Harvard Medical School to study the effects of fish oil supplementation on bipolar disorder and as a treatment for schizophrenia.
- Maintaining Healthy Joints – Fish oil supplements are effective in reducing inflammation and maintaining healthy joints by supporting connective tissue and cartilage. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil also promote joint motility and joint comfort. Daily supplementation has been shown to reduce the frequency of tender joints and delay joint fatigue.
- Reduces Cancer Risks – Fish oil supplementation has been shown to reduce tumor growth in breast cancer, and reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer. A high level of omega-3 fatty acids results in a low level of omega-6 acids which reduces the risk of developing breast cancer. Daily supplementation in the 2,500 mg range of fish oils has been found to prevent the progression of effective in preventing the progression of polyps to colon cancer.
- Weight Loss – When combined with a sensible diet and moderate regular exercise, the effects of fish oil on weight loss could provide an additional 10% fat loss. Researchers believe that fish oil supplements improve the circulation and blood flow to your muscles during exercise and stimulates enzymes which transport stored body fat to where it can be used up for energy. It is recommended you supplement 2-3 grams over the course of the day to see a decrease in fat and increase in muscle.
As research continues, the list of benefits of fish oil supplementation grows. The omega-3 fatty acids have been credited with decreasing your risk of heart disease and stroke, reducing the symptoms of depression, lowering blood pressure, and reducing joint pain associated with arthritis.